Sunday, June 23, 2013

Weather Station by the Workshop

Griffin decided to add a weather station to his workshop. It measures indoor temperature, outdoor temperature, humidity, and wind speed. He was so excited about it that he installed it all by himself instead of waiting for Mom and Dad to help. He got very frustrated, but didn't give up.

"It measures the outside humidity. It uses a phone-like connector to transfer data from the wind meter to the transmitter. I got it at Cabela's for $8.87. There was a discount on it because it was a discontinued item. There was a fancier one that included what I got plus other stuff like a rain gauge, but it cost over $100. I had some trouble setting it up but what I did was repetitively press the reset button on the receiver and then it worked. It was hard to mount because I didn't use my drill which was in my workshop. I wanted to do it how most people would. The transmitter can be 300 feet away from the receiver if you're in an open field, otherwise it's less. Dad suggested putting it high on the workshop pole because it was in the shade but I wanted to put it slightly lower because it was easier to work on and replace the batteries.  It requires 2 AA batteries in the receiver and 2 in the transmitter which is mounted on one of the poles of my workshop. I think that when the batteries die in about a year I will use my supercharger to charge it."

No comments:

Post a Comment