Monday, June 24, 2013

Pressurized Bottle

I started with the guts of an air-powered Nerf gun. I took apart the Nerf gun because it didn't work very well. First I used it as a smoke gun to spray vaporized soap. But then I cut it apart to make the air reservoir larger. I saved the valve that fires, the pressure meter, and the pump. I cut the hose linking the pump to the pressure meter and drilled 2 holes in a laundry detergent bottle and stuck my hose parts in to allow air to be transferred. I sealed all the connections except the cap with hot glue

To fill the bottle with air, I use the pump. To fill the bottle with water, I unscrew the cap and put the water in. Then it works as an underpowered squirt gun.

By opening the valve, I let the pressurized air flow out of the bottle until the pressure at the nozzle is equal to the pressure behind the valve. For filling a balloon, I pull the valve and the pressure inside the bottle and the balloon equalize.until the balloon is full enough.

What's Next?
Griffin frequently reuses parts from old inventions or redesigns them. Nothing is ever really "finished". That's exactly what happened with the pressurized bottle/Nerf gun. What would happen if he made the hose longer? Added squirt gun parts? Added a second bottle? Added glow in the dark tubing? Replaced the Nerf gun shell around the end of the hose? Will it still shoot darts? Unfortunately, after answering all those questions, the pump gave out and started leaking. It will go into the parts bin for now, but who knows what it will become in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment