Saturday, July 22, 2023

New Shielding Gas Tank

The first welder my dad bought for me at a garage sale included a small cylinder already filled with 75% Argon 25% carbon dioxide. This shielding gas is needed to make smooth welds because it prevents porosity from oxygen, hydrogen and nitrogen. 

When I tried the welder, my welds just didn't look good. I wasn't sure if the problem was my technique or the equipment.

Eventually, I bought a new welder, but I still had problems. Next, I bought a new regulator. It makes the gas flow at a consistent adjustable rate. That seemed to fix the problem. 

I tried it with the old welder, and it worked ok with it too. But then I ran out of shielding gas and needed to buy more.

Exchanging the cylinder would normally cost around $30 (for comparison, the old welder was $75 including the cylinder). However, there was also an additional $30 charge to recertify the cylinder, which must be done every 5 or 10 years. The old cylinder was about 30 years overdue!, the new one is good for 10 years

After I hooked up the regulator to the tank there was a leak, so I returned that regulator, and got a new one which worked perfectly.

I have it chained to the wall so that it does not fall over and turn into a rocket.







No comments:

Post a Comment