Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Ikea Strainer Repair


We've bought three copies of a strainer from IKEA. Overall , we like the design because the handle stays cool and it fits over one side of the sink perfectly. However, two have broken because the handle isn't strong enough. The handle is spot welded to the mesh side of the strainer instead of to the rim, so after some normal use the mesh rips. And then we go buy a new one.....

New strainer- handle attached to mesh but not rim.


Torn mesh, handle pulled off.


After repair- handle welded to rim

Now that I'm able to weld, I decided to repair the first two broken strainers. For the first one I repaired, I replaced the handle (which has fallen off and gotten lost) with a piece of rebar. For the second one I repaired, I welded the handle to the rim. The strainer is made of stainless steel and I'm using mild steel wire (ER70S-6 .030dia), so this is not the best idea because the weld could rust or crack. However, it seems to be strong enough and it was cheap and quick to repair it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment