Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Power Cord Upgrade for Iced Tea Maker

I have one of those kitchen devices that's like a coffee maker, but is just for making iced tea. It takes up a lot of counter space with its large rectangular pitcher, and it has a short cord, so it's hard to find a good place to plug it in. But the problem I had with it is that the cord was very stiff. 

Old cord is very stiff


I decided to replace the original short, extremely stiff cord with a longer, more flexible cord. Of course I chose a replacement with the same gauge and temp rating. First, I had to figure out how to open up the iced tea maker. There was a plastic cover on the underside, with several philllips screws and one annoying H-pattern security screw. Is it there for consumer safety or anti-repair? Once I defeated the security screw, it was easy to take off the cover. 

Security Screw


The inside was simple. The power cord came in and split into two, and then was connected to the system with clear crimp covers. I tied a knot in the new cord so it couldn't be pulled out, and used wire nuts to cover the new connections. Then I put the cover back on.

Ready to put the cover back on


No comments:

Post a Comment