Thursday, June 20, 2019

Impact Wrench Battery Rebuild


I bought an old Snap On impact wrench at a garage sale recently. It's a good brand that's usually too expensive for me to buy. It came with two batteries, but I thought even if I had to buy a new battery it might still be a good deal.
After testing it out for a couple of weeks, I found that one of the batteries wasn't holding a charge and the charger said it was bad. I attempted to charge it with a different charger, but it still wouldn't charge all the way. After looking at prices for the name brand battery pack, I decided to look at battery rebuild kits instead. The pre-assembled ones were still too expensive, so I decided to buy 12 individual sub C nickel cadmium cells and solder them together myself.
Opening the plastic case was straightforward, just requiring a T10 torx bit. I watched several Youtube videos on battery pack rebuilding so I knew what supplies I would need.

First, I arranged the cells in the same pattern as the original battery pack, and hot glued them together.
Then I used nickel plated steel strip to connect them. I was worried that soldering might make the cells too hot. The proper way to attach them would be with spot welds. Soldering did work, but the heat might shorten the lifespan of the cells. It was difficult to get the solder to stick in some spots, so I had to sand the ends of the cells

After I attached and connected the cells, I tested the fit in the original case and added a new piece of foam to the bottom. The cells seemed to fit well, but when I tried to slide the battery in and out of the tool, I found that the button on one side wouldn't release.  the negative connector was shifted slightly, so I had to take it apart again, and resolder one of the connections. After that, the buttons functioned perfectly. Now it holds a full charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment