Saturday, June 23, 2018

Rustic Clothes Rack

I used to organize my clothes for the week by placing piles on the stair railing. But Mom complained that it looked messy, and suggested I use hooks instead. Apparently I had first thought of this idea seven years ago. After I was done with this project, Mom found an entry in my Idea Journal from 2011. It was an idea for "Hooks for outfits for each day of the week. Attaches to bunkbed". This clothes rack attaches to the wall, not a bunkbed, but the idea is the same. 
I built a rack with 4 dowels. It works great with clothes on hangers, but it could be used without hangers. It looks rustic because I used a weathered fence board for the back and ligustrum branches for the pegs. This was a good recycling project because Dad wanted to throw away the old fence boards. The ligustrum dowels were cut from my backyard and are "sustainably sourced" because the tree will grow back quickly even though we never water it and it is growing wild.
I put the clothes rack outside my bedroom door, because there was unused wall space in the hallway between my room and the bathroom. To install the clothes rack, I used a studfinder to mark where to put the nails. I pre-drilled with my cordless drill, and then I hammered in the nails.



No comments:

Post a Comment