Monday, June 6, 2016

Siphons

It has been raining a lot this year, so I decided to collect the water to reuse. We don't have an actual rain barrel, so I made a temporary one out of 3 containers. I used two plastic bins and a plastic wheelbarrow. I linked them together with hoses.
To get the water from the front yard to the backyard, I siphoned it from the series of containers to the air conditioner condensate collection tub around the side of the house, and then it's pumped to my fountain in the backyard.
I have used siphons before in the summer when there was a drought to siphon water from my bathtub out the window to water plants. When we had a fish tank, we used a siphon to clean the gravel. This is the first project where I have made a series of siphons and containers. I start the siphon between bins by dipping the tube and filling it with water, then covering both ends with my fingers, and then removing my fingers once it's in place. To start the final hose, I run water from the faucet backwards, and then quickly disconnect the hose and lower it below the water level to start the siphon.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment