Monday, June 6, 2016

Metal Casting


I used my burner bucket to melt solder. The solder is a lead and tin mix with a melting point around 400F, which I got from Grandpa a few years ago. I used an aluminum soda can to make a crucible. The handle of the crucible is made of copper pipe and it balances on the edge of the bucket.

I want to make a mold to cast the metal. Clean dry sand would be good for a mold, but I don't have any. We tried clay instead. Mom made a cube of clay and added an imprint of a snail shell and a screw. She should have made a bowl-shaped mold because the excess spilled everywhere.


You can see the shape of the snail shell in the center.

Mom safety note: This project may deal with toxic materials which can be inhaled, ingested, or absorbed through the skin. Liquid metal and wax are dangerously hot and can splash. Griffin should do this project outdoors, wear eye protection and good shoes, wash his hands and take a shower afterwards, and have plenty of parental supervision. 

No comments:

Post a Comment