Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Ikea Scrap Table

I needed a table because I keep spilling drinks on the floor. Both of my parents agree that the drinks should not be on the floor. It's better to eat at a table even when I'm sitting on the sofa. I tried a flimsy Ikea table with a metal tube frame that Grampa overloaded with a computer. It was so rickety that my parents said I couldn't use it. I fixed it up with wood filler which worked great, but my parents made me throw it away when my cousins Ella and Leo came. I saved the table top and sold the frame as scrap steel.
I decided to build a new table out of mostly particle board. I bought a handyperson wood cart for $10 at IKEA. There was a nice bedframe and some other parts

missing hardware that I sold and made a profit. I used other parts to build a new table. I used 15 inch square 5/8 thick particleboard pieces for the table top and base and much thicker and coarser pieces for the legs and added real wood trim. I could turn it upside down and use it if I wanted to but I don't. It is about 23 inches tall, which is the perfect height for eating at the sofa.
I used an electric brad nailer to attach the real wood trim, and to secure the table top and bottom so they wouldn't start rotating while I pre-drilled and screwed them together. There is also a drill bit inside the table that broke off.

No comments:

Post a Comment