Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Capacitor Replacement

The arcade I work at has laser tag. The players wear vests with sensors. The laser tag vests plug in and hang up on chargers whenever they're not in use. However, the power supply wires are a little bit too big for the terminals, which causes the wires to come undone sometimes. While I was away, my boss tried to repair one of them but he reversed the copper and silver leads. This caused a tantalum capacitor to fail violently. 


I took off the plastic cover to see the board, and found a burned capacitor. I took it home and found a replacement aluminum electrolytic capacitor with the same value and sufficient voltage. 
My drawer of capacitors





I have my drawer of capacitors organized in a way that works for me, but might look messy on first glance. The handwritten number on each label is the voltage. The top number is the measured value of the capacitor, and the 2nd one is what it should be (nominal), and the 3rd number is the ratio. 


I desoldered the old capacitor and put the new one on. It was larger than the old one, but there was plenty of space under the cover. I forgot to clean off the flux residue, or cross off the sticker that said "lead-free".
I took the charger back and it worked perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment