Monday, February 17, 2020

Layered Resin Necklace

I made this colorful layered resin necklace for a friend.
I mixed EasyCast resin and hardener with small amounts of laser printer toner. The colored toner powder was from an old color laser printer that a neighbor gave me to take apart.
I tested two or three batches of resin before the final design. The first test was single color batches to see how long it took to be firm enough to add a hook or to unmold. The single color tests turned out perfect, even though I didn't follow the directions exactly. I was supposed to mix the resin in one container, remix in a 2nd container, and then pour into the mold. I used small plastic hotel shampoo bottles for the molds.
The second test batch was with two color layers. I poured the blue layer first, waited a few hours, and then poured the yellow layer. Unfortunately, I didn't wait long enough and the yellow(now green)  layer sank to the bottom while the blue layer rose to the top.
Based on these results, for the final version I waited at least 8 hours for each layer to set.

No comments:

Post a Comment