Saturday, August 17, 2019

Power Meter Kit

I wanted to see how much power different devices used and what the power factor was. Power factor is how synchronized the current and voltage are. A power factor of 1 is perfect, close to 0 is really bad. A device that pulls 1 Amp and 60 Watts at 120V will have a power factor of .5, because the real power (Watts) is half the apparent power (VoltAmps).
I have some smart plugs that claim to measure Watts- but actually measure VoltAmps. Sometimes their measurements were 25 times higher than it really was because the power factor was .03. They would say a device used 50 Watts, but was actually only using 2 Watts (and 50 VoltAmps). Other meters such as the KillAWatt 4400 measured things more accurately but only displayed one thing at a time.
I decided to buy a panel mount power meter instead of a self contained one, and add my own case and cord. The one I ordered came quickly through Amazon, and I hoped it would be a quick project. Unfortunately, cutting the opening in the metal case was more difficult than I expected. I used a cordless jigsaw, which is not the most accurate. Eventually, I did get the meter to fit, and then added a 14 gauge cord. For now, I added a colored tape wrap on the case. Maybe I will find some spray paint for metal and redo it.
After I set up the meter, I tried it out on some home electronics.
Laptop- 30 Watts with a power factor of .5
TV- 120 Watts with a power factor greater than .9
Bench supply- 8 Watts with a power factor of .6
1.5 Amp phone charger- 8 Watts with a power factor of .6

This meter can measure up to 100 Amps but the plugs in our house can only supply 15. It can measure up to 260 Volts, but 120 Volts is the highest I can plug it into because of the limits of the US power system.


No comments:

Post a Comment