Monday, May 30, 2016

Sump Pump

I have been reusing the air conditioner condensate to fill my pond. I started with a 5 gallon bucket that I had Dad carry because it weighed 40 lbs. Then I moved to a system with a large plastic bin, which I emptied with the smaller bucket. I added a pump to transfer the water. Then I added a hose, so that I could send the water directly to the pond. Finally, I added a float switch to turn the pump on automatically. Then Dad decided to have a smaller tub, sunk into the ground. So now it's a square flowerpot, smaller than 5 gallons, right under the air conditioner condensate pipe.



It collects water drop by drop until it's full, then the pump turns on and it empties the water to the pond.


Arrow 1- water from condensate pump. Arrow 2- pond recirculation.



I also added a mechanical timer and a night light in parallel with the power supply for the pump, so I can measure how long the pump has been on total and easily see if the pump is running by glancing into the garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment