Sunday, August 2, 2015

Drill Light

I recycled an old 12 volt cordless drill into a light fixture. I used an IKEA Hemma cord and a Touch&Glow dimmer. The drill light can mount onto a tripod. I repurposed the screwdriver bit holder to hold the end of the cord for storage. I labeled it with a 65 watt maximum because I forgot the actual maximum wattage the of the lamp holder inside and the Touch &Glow. My favorite bulb to use in this fixture is a 65 watt reflector bulb. It also can use any dimmable light bulb. The Touch&Glow is the "brains" of the operation giving it 3 levels of on-ness. It has 2 sensor areas, one where the drill's trigger used to be (now a wad of aluminum foil) and another is a copper strip on the top. The copper strip is foil for stained glass. Signals from the top sensing area go through the base of the light bulb on the way to the neutral tab of the bulb holder. Each time you touch either sensor, it goes to the next brightest setting or if it's already at the brightest setting it just turns off.






No comments:

Post a Comment