Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Alarm Clock Repair

In college, it's important to wake up on time to make it to class. So my dad bought me a new battery-powered digital alarm clock. I liked this design because it uses a single AA battery which is easy to replace. Unfortunately, it was broken right out of the box. The one feature that is essential in an alarm clock- the alarm- did not work. My dad didn't want me to open it up to diagnose the problem because he thought he was going to return it or file a warranty claim instead. He procrastinated and did nothing, so after a year there was nothing stopping me from fixing it. I unscrewed the case and took a look at the circuit board. I used my electronics microscope to record what I saw. The problem with the sound was obvious. One of the pins on the piezo had no solder connecting it to the board. This was a quick fix. I resoldered it, and now it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment