Saturday, June 4, 2022

Wooden Hangers


We have lots of cheap plastic and metal hangers. They often end up breaking, but we saved some parts to recycle. The first wooden hanger I made was for pants, and was a way to reuse the metal bar and clips from a broken hanger. I used more of the oak flooring scraps for the wooden parts.

The next hanger I made was a prototype of a shirt hanger. Because the wood flooring is so sturdy, it doesn't need a cross bar. I could probably make a hanger that will hold a shirt and pants, but it would be more work and more sanding.

The next two hangers still need hooks. I tried to build them like an assembly line, but I got impatient waiting for the glue to dry. My mom's advice was to add a dowel to increase the strength of the joint, but the pieces shifted while I was drilling the hole. On the next one, I added staples to hold the joint steady while the glue dried. I clamped one hanger in the garage vise, and the other one in the workbench vise in the shed while they dried.

After the glue had dried, I used a router bit in my drill press to round over the edges. Then I used my belt sander to smooth everything. This is important so that the hangers don't snag the clothes.





No comments:

Post a Comment