Friday, March 16, 2018

Overcomplicated Alarm Clock

Bored by the standard clock radio, I wanted something with bed-shaking bass to wake up to. I decided to modify my sound system to add a secondary power input controlled by a mechanical timer. The timer is the type you plug your lamp into when you go on vacation so people think you are home, although that didn't work in the Home Alone movie. I set the timer to turn the power on for about an hour around the time the alarm app on my tablet is set to. The app on my tablet is set to use loud music as the alarm. My favorite is a song called Gopnik by DJ Blyatman.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tch4J_pP9o I don't understand the words, but I like the style.
To prevent the two power supplies from interfering with each other, I added a common anode dual diode (STPS3045CW). Here is a datasheet from the manufacturer. I salvaged the diode from a switch mode power supply.
The green LED indicates power from the bench power supply. If it is on it will be the dominant power source. The orange light indicates the alarm power source. If both power supplies are on, the bench power supply will do the work.
The blue part is the amplifier. I use it all the time when I am listening to music. My tablet by itself has tiny speakers and therefore no bass whatsoever. I bought the amplifier through amazon. http://amzn.to/2HCxCOw

No comments:

Post a Comment