Sunday, December 31, 2017

Salvaging Electronic Components

I took apart an old electric pressure cooker because the coating inside the pot had started to flake off and the metal underneath was oxidized. It wasn't safe to to cook with anymore, so I decided to take it apart and see what components I could salvage. I have always liked taking things apart to see how they work, but it's only been within the past year that I've had the right tool to take it this far apart to save individual components without damaging them.
Even with the desoldering tool, sometimes the pcb gets damaged but the components are usually fine. The capacitors may have a shortened life span due to the heat. The desoldering tool has a soldering tip with a hole in it and a vacuum pump. It melts the solder and then sucks it into a chamber where it is stored until enough builds up that it comes out when resetting the plunger. I have a can to collect the used solder in so that it doesn't get on the workbench or in the fume extractor. 

In the pressure cooker, I found a 555 timer and an LM7805 voltage regulator. The 555 timer came out relatively easily, but the LM7805 didn't. I salvaged a passive piezo.

I was also able to desolder 2 LEDs and a capacitor. It was mostly solid state controls, there weren't any relays. There was a chip labelled BTA16 600B on a large heat sink, but it didn't need to be desoldered.  I looked up a datasheet for it, and it is a triac (a type of solid state switch for AC).  https://www.rcscomponents.kiev.ua/datasheets/haopinfsj489ydf945dt.pdf


No comments:

Post a Comment