Saturday, December 19, 2015

Melted Plastic Art

Today I did more melting of random stuff. Last year, I made a video of melting a turkey timer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwXu0Ougwsc. By far, my favorite thing to melt is unrinsed yogurt containers. I think the pattern of the burnt yogurt residue is interesting, but Mom thinks it's gross. This one folded back on itself as it melted and the label curled up and fell away.

I melted a plastic cup. It looks more like a flower because I cracked it first. The cup and yogurt container were done at about 350 degrees F (about 177 C).
 
Another one I did a few months ago was from a battery backup front panel and today I turned it into a refrigerator magnet.
I also tried melting leftover PLA plastic from a failed 3D print. It stuck to the foil. I tried to saw it in half but it kept binding the saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment