Saturday, October 24, 2015

Homemade Dust Collector

I saw many dust collectors like this on Youtube and decided to make a smaller version for myself.
Most of the ones on Youtube use a 5 gallon bucket. I used a large plastic container for the external dust collection tank that is about 2 gallons with a 1 gallon shopvac.







I cut the hose from the shopvac and spliced it into my dust collection system. If I had more hose, I could add a 2nd stage.  The shopvac by itself worked fine, but had a smaller capacity and was harder to empty. I used a bungee cord to hold the container under the workbench.


The dust gets trapped in my bucket because of cyclonic filtration. The angle of the tube inside the bucket along with the placement of the exhaust tube to the shopvac creates a cyclone.

Most of the dust is from the scrollsaw. When I'm cutting MDF, the dust is finer than when I cut plywood, particle board, or real wood.  The dust collector uses more power than the saw itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment