Saturday, April 27, 2013

Model Rocket Launch


Yesterday I launched a model rocket.  I got these rockets when my Uncle Mike moved to San Francisco and he quit model rockets because there was no where to do them there. I have launched them in a big open field and a parking lot. The parking lot was the most recent and safest location because it wouldn't catch on fire (unless someone poured hot lava on it). It took more than one try to launch the rocket. The first failure could have been the battery or the igniter. I think changing the battery helped. The second failed attempt it was the igniter. The third attempt was successful. I used my 12 volt battery that I told you about earlier. The launch controller was originally designed for 6 volts but because our batteries were recharged with the supercharger they weren't as good. I had to unscrew the back cover of the launch controller to take it apart and I had to slide one of the battery leads off a part of the battery compartment and relocate it so that I could use an alligator clip. I clipped alligator clips to the battery. I wanted Mom to do it but Dad clipped them to the battery. We did black to black and yellow to red.

For yesterday's launch I used an A engine. I call it the wimpiest.  It is the smallest and least efficient type of model rocket engine. Bigger engines are the C and D engines. I have never used a D, but the C engines are the most spectacular and efficient. The difference between the A, B, and C engines are just a different amount of fuel. The D engine has more stages and fuel. The first stage is the fuel and it just propels the rocket straight up. The next stage is the tracking smoke. It sort of propels it and helps you to know where your rocket's about to land. The last stage is the parachute ejection charge. It doesn't burn slowly like the other ones. It just explodes, releasing the parachute and removing the nose cone and almost propelling it forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment