Thursday, June 6, 2024

Greenbriar- Edible Wild Plant

 Greenbriars (smilax) are a wild edible plant in central Texas. The tip of new growth, especially in the spring, looks a bit like asparagus. It tastes kind of like a cross between green beans and asparagus.

Identifying the right plant is very important. Smilax has lots of thorns, unlike the poisonous Carolina Snailseed Moonvine. I have two different species of greenbriars in my yard. The one with dense needle-like thorns tastes bitter, while the one with normal thorns tastes ok. Only the new growth is tender enough to eat. It's also important to harvest from an area without herbicides or pesticides. 

 Unless we are pruning back a whole plant that's in the way, I like to harvest just a little bit each day and then store the shoots in a cup of water in the fridge. Once I've collected enough to cook with, I wash and chop them. They are good in scrambled eggs, omelet, or vegetable stir fry. 

Largest Greenbriar I found, with banana for scale



No comments:

Post a Comment