Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Quadraphonic UTAU Cover


One of my hobbies is mixing music with computer generated voices. So far, I have started with UST files that other people have created. These files describe the length, pitch, and pronunciation of each note. I created this mix of Daisy Bell (Bicycle Built for Two) using UTAU software. Vocaloid is another type of software that is used for this, but it costs $500 for the base software plus $100 for each voice bank. So creating this song mix with Vocaloid would cost $900. Instead, I am using UTAU which is free with mostly free voice banks.

For this quadraphonic mix, I used four characters with different voices- Waltt, Ken Shippai, Alice 16,  and Daronavo Odalakian. I put one on each channel. Audacity only supports 2 channels, so I downloaded a new audio editor, OcenAudio, that supports plenty of channels. I set up the mix so that it sounds like a different character is singing from each corner of the room. This fully takes advantage of my speaker system.

Quadraphonic systems have largely been replaced by more advanced surround sound, so there isn't much quadraphonic music available to download. There's not even much surround sound music available, and it isn't supported by Youtube. If I upload my music to Youtube, it will be converted down to stereo (2-channel). If I put it on Google Drive instead, the integrity of the file is preserved. To get the full experience you must have a surround sound system (quadraphonic, 5.1, 7.1 etc.) You can download it or play it in newer browsers such as Chrome and Edge. Please ask before reposting.
Here's the link to my wav file:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ia0jza4F4fMdphNz7FHNxe5EL9CWK5AW



Sources:
I got the UST file from Amzsie here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXWbO5SjgGE

2 comments:

  1. omg thank you so much for using Daronavo, but where did you get her? XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it. I don't remember now, but it might have been from a link in the wiki.

    ReplyDelete